Alexander Petrovich Buryak
1. Born on October 18, 1949. Lives in Kharkov (Ukraine).
- Architectural Faculty of Kharkov Civil-Engineering Institute - Diploma 1971;
- post-graduate course at Architecture Chair - 1972-75;
- Ph.D. thesis on design theory at the Central Institute for Theory and History of
Architecture (Moscow) - 1979.
3. Professional work:
- "Kharkovzhilstroy" Combine (1971-72) - introduction of new technologies,
- Kharkov Civil Engineering Institute: lectures on history and social basements of
profession, leadership of diploma works (awards of USSR and Ukraine Unions of Architects
in 1985-96); leadership of the Chair (from 1985); in 1980-92 - preliminary research,
development and realization of the experimental program of architectural education
(conception and guidance of the team of pedagogical experiment); supervision of two Ph.D.
thesis about the problems of environmental approach in town building (defenses in 1988 and
1993) and actually - supervision of five post-graduates' work;
- Kharkov Scientific Centre of the International Non-Governmental Organization "World
Laboratory": Scientific Supervisor of the Laboratory for Regional Development and
Urbanistics (independent research institute from 1995); organization and carrying out of
complex independent expertise and working out of regional development conceptions for
Vladivostok (1989) and Arkhanguelsk (1991) regions; projects of reconstruction of town
centre nuclear and of local industrial zone in Twer (1991-1992); organization and
conducting of the expertise of project variants of the Law on Atomic Energy Utilization
and organization of alternative project development (1991) for Russian Ministry of Atomic
Energy; leadership of the Consulting Group on Regional Policy of the Chief Administration
for Atomic Energetic Development (USSR Ministry of Atomic Energetic and Industry
1990-1993, from 1993 - in the structure of "Rosenergoatom" Concern); development
and realization of the organizational project of Ukrainian-Russian Association of defense
industry enterprises "AEC" (1991 -1992); development of the investment programme
and spatial conception of Crimean Tatars' National Culture Centre for Eupatoria (from
1992); programme of Levada Business Centre development in Kharkov, organization and
conducting of the International Competition for the idea of Levada historical area
reconstruction under the order of City Executive Committee (1994);
- Centre of Regional Researches of the Moscow Economic Society: Scientific Supervisor;
organization of the expertise of the investment programme of Kostromskaya Atomic Power
Station construction and public hearing on budget-investment policy of regional
administration (1992); regional policy conception for the Ministry of Atomic Energy of
Russian Federation (from 1992);
- "Ecopolitica - XXI Century" International Association: a member of the
Executive Directorship (Director of Studies), Leader of the International Forum
"Ecological Policy and Enterprise in the Changing World" (Kharkov, September
17-23, 1994); Expert of the Ecology Committee in the Supreme Soviet of Russian Federation
(1992-1993, questions of regional policy);
- "MEDIAPOLIS" Association - International Institute for Urbanistics and
Regional Development (IIURD): Coordinator of the National Municipal (Non-Governmental)
Programme "Improvement of the Management Systems for Development of Small and Middle
Towns of Ukraine" ("MEDIAPOLIS" Programme); Editor-in-Chief of
"MEDIAPOLIS" quarterly journal of Ukrainian Cities (from 1996).
- Participation in Moscow Methodological Circle's works (from 1973), in organization of
more than 30 large activity-organizational games and working seminars on regional
development and higher education in Ukraine and Russia.
- Lectures and reports on design theory and designers' tuition - at the Higher School of
Architecture of region Nord Pas-de-Calais in Lille (France), at Netherlands Architects'
Union in the Hague (Netherlands), at Cottbus Technical University (Germany), at Poznan
Polytechnic (Poland), lecture course on East-Christian Sacral Art History at the Higher
School of Applied Art - 'Schola Poznaniensis' (Poznan, Poland).
Publications: Author of more than 30 scientific and methodical publications and
scientific reports on the theory and history of architecture and of higher education, the
problems of urban regional development and others.
Exhibition: "Stealthy Characters" personal painting exhibition (tempera,
water colours; Kharkov House of Architects, 1999).